No announcement yet.

Pinky Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About once a year on one of my variety of blogs I talk about dog ownership. This year it is here. I live in a puppy mill state. Missouri is also big for other pet mills, too, like cats and chickens and stuff, but this is about dogs.

I live in a *nice* neighborhood, away from the city, but still a subdivision winding along a thickly wooded rocky bluff in the Ozark mountains. People spend a lot of money to move out here- lawyers, doctors, even a retired police officer lives up the street. They build nice homes and drive nice cars and bring their fancy expensive dogs. I have nothing against purebred dogs. They are beautiful.

I grew up with big dogs on a 200 acre farm. A neighbor's big dog (German Shepherd) once tore the flank out of one of our milk goats as it chased a valuable purebred milking flock around in a frenzied madness. My dad saw it happen. The neighbor refused to believe his dog could do such a thing. Shame he wouldn't come over and at least look at the bloody mess she was with a gaping hole in her hip. She lived, but ever after that her milk was no good and she walked with a limp. My own dogs have killed chickens after spending many peaceful months or years around them. It's hard to believe your own pet can be capable of such carnage. It's hard to remember that dogs' brains are wired to hunt, and if not trained to do so for food, will do it for sport. (Chickens are like video games to dogs, so people who get angry and want to kill their dog for killing their chickens are kinda stupider than the dog if they don't learn from that.) It's difficult to understand that your wonderful dog that never hurt anyone in his life can rip a child's face off or tear open an old lady's arm out of the blue one day. Or gang up and kill someone else's cute little dog. They don't see the world the same way we do, and they don't pick up on a human moral code just by being around us.

I'm not going to get into the politics of dogs. Just saying that when you move a dog out into an environment where you think you can let it run free, instincts start coming forward that you might never see, because you are in your house enjoying some spring cleaning and whatnot while your dog is two miles down the road terrorizing someone else's child or pets or tearing up property.

Yesterday a kid started screaming while I was inside my house working on my laptop. That's a horrible sound to hear. Don't worry, the kid is fine. But this happens every little bit, kids riding their bikes past, or walking up to the pool, and there you go, big dog in their face, and it's terrifying. Since my own dog (part collie) once mistook me in the dark for a stranger when I accidentally woke him and he bore me to the ground and ripped my leather coat, I'm sure ANY dog can react with surprise at ANY time and do something regrettable. (That was many years ago at a different house, I haven't owned a dog in about 15 years.)

Ever since spring popped, my neighbors have been letting their dogs out. Every day I see a succession of visiting dogs trot through my yard, around my house, around my chicken pen, in the neighbor's garden, etc. They do this every day roughly about the same time. One dog is a heavy thick furred scruffy thing a little higher than my knees. Another pair that always travels together is a black lab and a big yellow short hair with really long legs. Another one is a German Shepherd. Another one is a great big Pyrenese. I used to see a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but I think it got too old to come by. One guy that lives a mile away walks 5 Corgis by my house. A blind guy two doors up walks a little dog that I never see without him. Another black dog shows up sometimes, his owner is a Razorback fan by the looks of his mailbox. A couple up the road had a couple of beagle crosses that used to come over every day and terrorize my chickens till they completely stopped laying, until I put video on youtube and left him a note saying I could make his dogs famous. That abruptly stopped. I could go on and on, like the one that looks like a Mastiff, or the Bloodhound, Cocker Spaniel, Husky, etc etc etc. If you could see how far apart the houses are here you'd wonder how in the world I see so many dogs in my yard every day. The ONLY dogs I never see in my yard are the Dobermans across the street. They are professionally trained and always fenced or leashed. When that kid screamed yesterday, the owner immediately got her dogs onto leashes and walked them up and down the street training them to ignore it until everything settled down.

I think the thing that amazes me most is how much my neighbors spend on their pets and then let them roam around like it's no big deal. I've seen $1600 dogs trot past my house many times without an owner in sight. I live in a state that is having difficulty keeping underground dog fighting under control DOG FIGHTING RINGS FILL SHELTERS & IMPACT ECONOMY, and a LOT of people own pit bull type dogs. There is one next door, actually. That neighbor has kept a pitbull hybrid of some kind off and on for many years, and the poor dogs are rarely exercised or even interacted with in a kind way. Is it any wonder that one day their big pit bull managed to yank off what looked like a logging chain and went straight for a puppy in a girl's arms as she was walking by? Who wouldn't scream with a big dog bounding full speed at you to get to the pet in your arms? I know it wasn't mentioned to the police that the original owner had trained it to kill kittens when it was younger. That person now owns a LOT of cats. And a few dogs. Loves them all. But I was the one living next door to his first dog until it finally died. We used to sneak food over to it because it was so skinny, and sometimes take straw over in the winter because it had no other shelter besides a plain doghouse without any insulation. In a nice neighborhood.

Lately, this dog has showed up around my house.

I got that video yesterday. Isn't that sad? Someone dumped this dog off, assuming that someone wonderful in this nice neighborhood would take it in, because we have so many nice dogs running around. No one cares. While Missouri encourages the killing of feral cats, there are laws against killing dogs (especially with a collar on), even out here in the woods where rabies and other diseases and parasites are prevalent. I've tried taking dogs into shelters, but they are so full around here that there was a mandatory $25 drop off fee a few years ago, might be higher now. Simply dropping a dog off anonymously near a shelter can get a person fined. There are so many dogs, even purebred dogs, in shelters that can barely afford to take care of the dogs themselves that volunteers spend their paychecks on dog food to bring in and feed the dogs. These dogs sit in cages for long periods of time or even the rest of their lives because no one wants them.

Dogs can be wonderful companions. Dogs can also be scary when owners think how nice they're being to dogs by letting them run around the woods and fields. ~squeeee~ We don't live on farms here, most of the neighbors own 2-4 acres, and dogs will range up to 5 miles in a short time. I'm not sure what these people think goes on in their dogs' heads, but I know what they do in my yard and around my house. They pee all over my tools, buckets, whatever equipment I have out. They throw themselves against my chicken pen until I think the door is going to snap in half, and my chickens nearly destroy themselves freaking out. They knock things over and trample stuff in the garden. They scare away the local wildlife that I moved out here to be part of. They ruin deer season and terrorize little kids. They trot right up to my house like they live here, and one dog even thought I was inviting it in when I opened the door to tell it to go home.

Think of it like this- nice guys who work in offices like tearing up the town bar hopping once in awhile, right? Well, if humans have the urge to 'go wild', what do you think dogs have after being cooped up in a house or yard for months?

I have toyed with the idea of making my place the coolest hangout along the ridge and getting all the dogs to come here and never go home. Wouldn't it spite the neighbors to see me sitting on my deck surrounded by all their dogs on a lazy summer day. It would look ridiculous. But seriously, all I would have to do is get the grill going and accidentally drop a little meat on the ground once in awhile. Wouldn't be long till my yard looked like a dog zoo. Would be easier if I just slaughtered my chickens and strewed them around the yard, less stress and bitterness.

For those of you questioning leash laws or neighborhood coventry 'laws' or whatnot, no such luck. There is NOTHING legal I can do about this unless I call the police, and by the time they get here the dog is long gone. We even asked about restraining a stray dog and calling the neighbor to come get it, can't do that. Dogs are like ambassadors from other countries, exempt from the law. They aren't citizens that can be held responsible, the owners aren't taxed on them like property, and unless you have proof that the dog actually hurt someone or caused significant damage to property, there is no recourse for continually being harassed by the neighbors' dogs.

I'm biding my time. Might have the opportunity to make someone's dogs famous on youtube.
    Last edited by Pinky; 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM.
    790: You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation.
    I have no sense of self-preservation and I can always be reassembled.

Comment

So, Bradley sightings in California last week. From http://merlin-network.livejournal.com/477315.html

And then there was that skydiving picture last month. From http://bluemoonlight.tumblr.com/post...-in-california

Dare we hope Bradley got work in the States?

I'm doing secret stuff today myself.

Comment

That big rolling line of clouds is coming right at us.

And because I accidentally left the laptop running without plugging in earlier, now I have to fold up shop and just go do some chores around the house while I wait out the big lightning dancing all around my house. Sorry about that. Love you guys. I'll let Bradley take it today.

Comment

Saved back a little dough, time to freshen up the wardrobe. First order of business is replace my most favoritest ever Buckaroo Banzai tee that I wore nearly to rags. I don't get a lot of comments on this shirt, but when other cult fans do recognize it, they gush on and on about the first time they saw this in the theater. Really??? I am so fantastically jealous of anyone who saw this in a theater. It's the who's who of great scifi actors before we knew who they are, still in their young hottie primes. Click the shirt if you want one, too.

The only other t-shirt that ever got me more crazy fan attention than that one was this one from the Disney store in Branson. This actually happened. I walked into a Cheddar's restaurant and the cute usher who scheduled seating fangirled all over me like my t-shirt itself was Johnny Depp, and I kid you not, she knelt down like she was going to hug and kiss Captain Sparrow right there on my stomach. I took a step back to avoid it, she came that close. Jaws dropped all around us. I wore that shirt to rags too, till all you could make out were eyes looking at you.

And I found a couple more Lexx tees, these pix are from 2 different stores online, click to go.

This is the kind of movie that should be on your bucket list, if you haven't seen it yet. I'm supposed to write a review for it to go up at Nerd Movie. I better get on that.

I can put only one video here, but click this next link and notice who wore the bow tie before they were EVER cool...

http://youtu.be/0gNJ1z-ulB4

Comment

love the T's, and the fan story's. Looking forward to reading your review as always. I might have to pick up one of those Lexx T's for my collection.

Comment

myke! Hello!

Comment

Getting ready to travel later. New neck sling for my phone and cool allergy bracelets.

I haven't been on a plane in years. People who fly all the time would probably laugh at me. To which I retort back Betcha haven't been in a single engine plane on an illegal flight path over the mountains around Flagstaff... The neverending urp in that crazy turbulence was so bad that when it became clear we'd probably never make it home, I didn't *CARE*, as long as someone could make it ~STOP~. I will probably medicate myself thoroughly this time.

My fave ever tv show sequence to that song is on s7 ep2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia "The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore" Alas, the second that clip hits youtube it gets taken down, but the show is worth spending a little money on, especially for that episode.

Comment

Little bit of spring going on in my yard.

It hasn't been the funnest year to be a chicken with all the weather, so yesterday was a real treat.

15 more seconds with them actually eating the corn, if you want to see it.

http://youtu.be/y7GGGw7ngcc

Comment

Please Don't Bring Merlin Back

I'm growing very impatient with the Bring Merlin Back groupie thing. I joined to watch what's going on partly out of morbid curiosity, because I have a sociology degree heavily anchored with anthropology and psychology. I've never observed a live cult group before, although I've seen a few from a distance. And I have to say, this one comes as close as any to weird obsession. I have bets on that if someone instructs them to drink the koolaid, a few of them just might.

In the real world, one fan does not hold the power to make a staff of hundreds of people do his or her bidding. The group leader ~seems~ to understand that millions more dollars would have to be dredged up and a number of lives would have to screech to a halt and go in reverse to get back to an intersect point where they could pick up where they left off. But the group leader also seems to epic fail to see that playing fan politics like this looks like a mental affliction gone wildly awry. To expect the world to behave this way because a very few people (compared to the entire fandom or world audience) 'work hard' to make it happen isn't much different from a toddler throwing a tantrum or a teenager manipulating relationships or an adult refusing to deal with reality.

I'm not wanting to be mean. I love Merlin so much that I spent good money procuring all 5 seasons, plus a calendar and a t-shirt. There are other fans out there spending much more than I have, buying collectible toys and apparel and traveling to film sites and conventions. IF these kinds of things are what keeps a show from ending, then Merlin would never have ended. Its international success exceeded so many expectations, and most of us feel so lucky to have seen it or been a part of it. But c'mon. Investing one's emotional belief system into remolding a television show via a fan army of swooning believers isn't how the rest of us want it to go. I do NOT want Merlin back if it means a handful of fans become the boss of everyone who ever created Merlin, and I especially do NOT want those fans to be the boss of Bradley and Colin.

I love the way Merlin ended. I bawled my eyes out, yes. I've seen a lot of Arthurs and Merlins come and go, and this creation was such beautifully crafted story about such a deep friendship, and how that friendship survived through thick and thin and eventually led to the United Kingdoms. We watched a core belief system rebirth through the seasons and in the end came down to a serving girl on a throne because of the utter kindness of her king. THAT is what Albion is all about. Albion is a dream that we are ALL equal, that we ALL matter, and that we treat each other with respect and courtesy, not drawing lines at status. Because Arthur had such good friends, he was a good king.

I do not want obsessive fans to change that. Arthur dies in all the legends, and I think this version of his death is fantastically beautiful and symbolic. Everything in the last two episodes is very symbolic- Merlin stuck in the dark cave while the battle begins in the dark, brother and sister both dying by swords forged in the dragons' breath, an actual dragon being Arthur Pendragon's pall bearer, and much more. I wept not just for the death of Arthur, but for how absolutely beautifully done that entire last stand was executed in film, how wonderfully uplifting the entire series was, how much it has actually helped me in my personal life to believe in good things during rough times.

I thank Bradley and Colin very much for being Arthur and Merlin. But I never want to see them do those roles again any other way. I vehemently do NOT want obsessed fans to change what is in MY head by bullying the market with faked email accounts and spamming. I'm sorry those fans need that to hang onto, and I do understand that sometimes we really do need something concrete when our lives need meaning. I don't want to make anyone feel like I am making fun of them, because I'm not. I have observed and not said anything for a long time. But as an American who has watched this 'international' group execute 'actions' to bring Merlin back before some of us have seen season 5 aired in our country (or even season 3 in some countries), I think they do the rest of us fans the discourtesy of not caring what WE want.

I want Arthur to rest in peace for awhile now. I want to make up my own fantasies about him rising out of Avalon again to join Merlin. I want that sparkling effervescence of 'maybe'. I want to move on and become the sort of person who would also be noble and patient and true like the rest of the supporting characters in Merlin.

I have been part of a number of fandoms, and while I appreciate that fan support can sometimes bring a show back long enough to bring a little closure, I also understand that sometimes a show really is simply over, at least in the real world. In my mind I carry on to my own amusement, as is should be. Stories give us something to occupy our thoughts while we get through mundane or difficult stuff, and stories can even help us with problem solving our own relationships and decision making. To turn a story into a production on demand taints the joy of those creating the story to begin with (after all, it WAS someone else's idea), and neglects the feeling of pride in their accomplishment.

I would invite the fans who demand a different sort of closure to create and publish their own stories. Instead of just demanding that everyone else drop whatever they're doing to please them, grow up and put the work into it yourselves. Invest your own money, dedicate your own hours of labor, form your own teams and produce something wonderful for the rest of the world to read or watch. The whole Merlin and Arthur field is wide open, anyone can interpret it any way they want. But don't think you can dare to turn our Colin and Bradley into puppets that you pull the strings on. Not cool. They have so much potential to go on and do so much more, and I want to see them continue to excel in other work. Please accept that they are actors, not dolls, not the real characters, not enamored of themselves as the fans are. They are simply men who get paid to fill roles. And we love them, that's ok.

I rarely cross post my stuff, but this one is going on multiple blogs I have strewn across the ethernet. Those of you wonderful lurkers who stalk all my stuff, sorry for the redundancy, but this feels important. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Well, this was an exciting morning, wasn't it? Announcement ripped around the world that Bradley James and some of the Knights will be guest appearing at conventions in Oz this June, in Sydney starting the 21st and in Perth starting the 28th. Fans need to remember they are nearly a day ahead of some of us there on the calendar. Follow @SupanovaExpo on twitter for updates, and get more info on their facebook page and their dotcom. I'll be retweeting live tweets as much as I can, as will a few other dedicated Merlin fans around the globe, so mark the dates. Don't call us crazy, just organizing fan action into timelines for easier twitter consumpution. I tend to heavily filter and I've never yet gone to twitter jail, but I'll still give my followers reminder heads up notices to mute their mobile alerts on those days since I periodically flood my timeline with several other fandoms and I know some of you aren't interested in Merlin stuff.

Some of you have not seen all the shows yet, so be warned this lengthy blooper reel may contain spoilers covering seasons 2-5. If your browser won't let syfydesigns play the entire video (some browsers get a little balky interfacing youtube videos through third parties), by all means click it out to a new window and enjoy!

Comment

I'm 'Pinky'. I'm not a pink freak (one of my blogs is bluejacky on xanga), but there is something about the color pink that makes things interesting sometimes, plus it's fun to ennunciate. I woke up this morning with a vision of a pink TARDIS in my mind and wondered if anyone else had ever thought of it in pink. Well, apparently it's a real thing, and even a sort of holy grail for collectors.

I was not at all interested in digging up older Dr. Who shows (before the Rose days) until I ran smack dab into this when I searched "who created the pink tardis". The Happiness Patrol I also found a really good review of that episode on youtube. (This guy plays with his shirt the same way I do. )

That show came out in the 90's, a sort of 'big pharma' era, and obviously makes a statement about the push to 'fix' people with pills, and I can honestly stand on both sides of that fence. The debate over whether depression is a medical or psychological condition (or even real vs made up by big pharma) is pretty stupid because it comes from people who have never experienced real depression. Depression for me is a lifestyle, I was born this way with a wonky brain, but interestingly, my psychologist has commented that having Asperger's may have cushioned me from some of the nastier consequences throughout my life. For instance, I have never been suicidal, despite constructing elaborate arguments proving that happiness does not really exist. (I originally sought out my psychologist for help with social interaction, who then assessed me at 51-60 on a Global Assessment of Functioning scale with my Asperger's. I've been called Sheldon by several of my closest family, which actually helped me see myself better than anything else ever did.)

I am currently at a 51 on Goldberg's depression test. Unfortunately, thanks to an aggressive kind of mono that hit my liver a few years ago, I seem to be allergic to a frighteningly growing list of foods and medications, so I do not treat medically for depression. Since I am winging this, I am learning how vital it is to talk to people about my real stuff (which has taken several years to acclimate to doing with my glaring social deficit). In 2008 I went public about having Asperger's and depression, and my bluejacky blog became so popular that it unnerved me and I closed it the public for a couple of years (typical aspie reaction). I have been contacted out of the blue by people all over the world who ache for someone to listen to their weirdness and assure them they're ok.

YOU ARE OK. We're all going to be ok! But you'll be even more ok if you find someone you can talk to. If a family member won't listen, or you feel like a friend blows you off, keep looking for someone to talk to about your stuff, preferably someone in real life whose face you can actually see, not typing through a monitor. If you don't have the money or insurance, free counseling is still available. If you can't get into counseling right away and you feel it is urgent to talk to someone because you are frightened that you might do something rash, call your doctor's office and tell them that, and then do what they tell you. This actually saves lives in many more ways than simply stopping suicide. Your quality of life is important.

Having depression doesn't mean there is something wrong or bad with you any more than having something like diabetes. You do not cause your depression. Many people self medicate with alcohol and drugs without realizing they have depression. As I have learned how to control my diabetes with a diet change, so I am learning how to live better with my depression through a social interaction change.

Final note on living with depression. Much of the world's greatest art and literature has come from people living with depression. There is so much beauty and deeper meaning inside of us. Hug yourself, believe in yourself, eat something delicious, and find something or someone to love without condition. I know it's hard (believe me, I know it's hard). But you can do this. Be someone who makes life better for someone else, even if it feels like it's sucking for you. Be wonderful while you are here. Small actions and tiny moments add up to a lifetime of pretty cool big stuff if you can learn to focus yourself on that.

"Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter." -Yoda

If you are in the U.S. and need help NOW, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255
                        USA NATIONAL Suicide & Crisis Hotlines - When You Feel You Can't Go On...

Comment

Party at my house today! With my fave ginger in the whole world.

This video first went live in March 2007, did all the filming and editing herself. In April of 2013 she turned 21. They grow up too fast!

Comment

(Public Service Announcement- Please be advised that the following blurb contains math. If you are allergic to math, please take the proper precautions and shut your eyes.)

It's about 3:45 in the afternoon. The internal tracker on my 'fortuna' blog says I've had 120 visitors so far today. Sitemeter says I've had 7.... Likewise, the internal tracker says I've had 782 visits so far this week, site meter says I've had 70.

This counter stat on my blog is the site meter total, but it's wrong for that date, and it's only counting unique visits, not total page views.

Site meter started my count over from zero after I lost all the stats during a couple of years when I had the blog shut down to the public, and then it completely stopped counting for two weeks after I opened it back up while they moved their servers (which I'm going to blow off), and ever since the big server move it practically stopped tracking, despite numerous attempts to get some maintenance tickets going. Before I closed my blog to the public, site meter said I had over 33,000 total visits, so the resumed count since then should be at least 40,700, and then the real total, if you consider the internal tracker on the blog catches about ten to twenty times more, would be at least 400,700 (the internal tracker still filters out bots, in case you're thinking that).

And believe it or not, that's still wrong. I have a third tracker in the form of a stalker module that additionally catches proxies the other two trackers never log. But to err conservatively, let's just call it almost half a million hits so far. I thought about paying for a different tracker, but after some of the diatribes I've seen from other bloggers, I decided who cares, sheesh. It's not like I'm running a business and making cost projections, although it is pretty cool to be able to see my page rankings in a nice little chart.

Not really making a point with this. I guess it's my little aspie 'train' obsession to compare the tracking services, and I was happy doing that when the numbers were much smaller, so I guess I'm kinda surprised. Waving hi to all you little dots out there. =)

But I digress from my intentions. I must grab my lapels and fling myself back into finishing what I was doing before it's supper time, while I listen to some pretty music.

Comment

I've got my DVR set, tomorrow is Derby Day! It's the 139th run for the roses at Churchill Downs in Kentucky, the fastest two minutes in sports. The Kentucky Derby was always a showcase for the rich and famous, but last few years it's become a red carpet event of its own. Derby 138 Red Carpet My favorite things are the hats and the horses.

This is from Kentucky Derby hats ΤΗ? Zuza Fun

This year fillies were officially banned from running in the Kentucky Derby, which means they're also automatically out of the Triple Crown. This has more to do with a point accumulation revision than anything, so I think it's silly to make this kind of rule.
                              Kentucky Derby 2013: Fillies Banned From Running For The Roses, New Rule Says

As the general public becomes more exposed to the creme de la creme of the sport of kings (horses are flown in from all over the world), the dark side of the racing industry comes more to light. This is just a tiny sample of the sad undercurrent of the leftovers of upper crust society. I would have wanted this horse to win the Derby if it could have run in it. Magna Fortuna

Comment

So what DOES a person wear on Star Wars Day, Respect for Chickens Day, World Naked Gardening Day, Derby Day, Free Comic Book Day, National Homebrew Day, National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, National Scrapbooking Day, International Space Day, Bladder Cancer Awareness Day, World Give Day, AND Dr. Who Day?

I'm wearing my fuzzy Where's Waldo sox because it's still freakily snowing outside, and my Peanuts Halloween shirt, and snacking on chocolate pie with purple meringue.

And I'm about to park myself on the couch for all day live Derby coverage (Watch the Derby) with my laptop on my lap working. Let us celebrate Respect for Chickens Day with the coolest chicken video on the internet. Have an awesome weekend, guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X