Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinky
    replied
    I could not get the tree down fast enough this year.

I've been through some odd and sad Christmases, but this one was just plain disturbing. I mentioned last Saturday that Santa died. We found out he was actually driving himself to the hospital and was only a couple of blocks away when he passed away in traffic. I have no idea if that is what prompted protocol for autopsy, but imagine having to leave your kids behind and fly to another state over Christmas and not only make arrangements for your parent who played Santa Claus professionally, but deal with that kind of extra paperwork when Santa is having an autopsy for Christmas. I know, right? You'd probably drink yourself silly all alone every night in another city. And how dismal Christmas is for those left behind because the family is split up, and then arranging more flights right after holidays, omg the stress alone, never mind the added bonus of traveling with a tiny child and what one might come back to at work after all that. The hardest part I'm going through is watching other people hurt and going through all that stress. Well, hours and hours of babysitting all week is taking a toll, but that's a breeze by sheer comparison.

There is a viral tweet flying around twitter that suicide rates spiking during holidays is a myth. You know what? That doesn't matter. Because suicides are still suicides whether they spike or not. Self harm and drug overdosing and alcohol poisoning and consequential traffic accidents are still happening whether it's a myth or not. People are still out there disappearing into the shadows. Bad and sad things happen every day, they don't take breaks for holidays, and it's real easy to slip out of the light and fall by the wayside while everyone's attention is on something else. Some people don't recover from the stunning blows that life deals out, especially if the timing *really* sux. Maybe a suicide doesn't happen on a holiday, but maybe the road to one starts on a holiday. And suicide might not be quick. It might take years of self destruction and no one calls it suicide then, even though that's what it ultimately is in extremely slow motion.

There is a lot of focus around this time of year on family, friends, and loved ones gathered together. If you are feeling left out and lost, scared and alone, and you're not sure what to do or who to talk to, please click Lifeline, veterans crisis line, or international suicide hotlines. I also find that tweeting and blogging help a lot. Find people to hang out with somewhere to help keep you looking forward, to keep you busy being busy. I've been through a whole lotta stuff, most of it alone, but the world is changing and we don't have to be alone any more.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    Not everyone enjoys or gets dark humor, especially around holidays. Some of us have lived through so much hard stuff that dark humor is how we survive. In a previous blurb from 2 months ago I brought up the precautions people should take befriending me, since the cosmos seems to target me purposely in more and more horrifically ironic ways to keep delaying my publishing date. In that previous blurb I pointed out just how personal it was getting when an extremely near death crisis happened right next door.

So here's the warning- you step into my life, and even Santa dies before Christmas.

I *wish* with all my heart that I could never have said that. It's not funny, but it's so funny in a horribly black way that it's the one thing that keeps popping into my mind. I announced on twitter and facebook this evening that burrito's daddy's father passed away of a heart attack going home from a professional gig as Santa Claus. The guy really does look like Santa Claus year round, and he's been doing this for a long time. These things happen.

But in MY circle, these bizarre happenstances are becoming so weirdly related to key dates and actual circumstances in my own life that it's hard to help feeling like it's personal. I know it's really not. But just in case, I'd like for all of you to eat healthy, take your vitamins and exercise 3 times a week, drink plenty of fluids and get quality restful sleep, and utter or chant prayers of protection on your families and houses.

I have a bad feeling the next one makes it into the Darwin Awards.

15 Common Cognitive Distortions, in case you're interested.

Last edited by Pinky; 12-22-2013, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    My life abounds with weird synchronicity. I got hit up with a viral hop on today, nearly 70 Arab speaking twitter accounts that piled on following me in about 20 minutes flat, no idea what in the world triggered that one.

And right in the middle of all that was Tony Solo suddenly following me out of the blue.

No one else followed me all day long.

So you all know about SnarkStock by now, right? People who are coming through my Pinky Stuff because they're stalking Janika Banks from the old days (don't roll your eyes, it still happens) might be thrilled (or ticked) that I wound up on another live shoutout during the party that rocked New Jersey almost right off the map. Just for sport, because I like to play with other people's analytix, check it out, right at 13:38 you hear Tony Solo say "Janika Banks" and not long after I pop in. And out. And in and out. My G+ kept kicking me offline, possibly from some big weather going on not too far from my house.

And in case you didn't quite get enough-

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    Scott wanted a college girl. What he got was a weirdo showing up at his work looking like a drug dealer.

Scott wanted a nuclear family, what he got was being dragged into fandoms and weird scifi.

I found out yesterday, after refusing to come anywhere near me on previous Halloweens when I would sport a stroked on mascara beard that looks freakishly real, he saved this next picture from this year's Halloween on his phone after sending all the rest to the cloud. It took twenty years, but I think he's good with it now. He wanted a wife/mother/housekeeper/cook, what he got was a best friend for life.

*hits me right here*

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    I had a fantastically weird and wonderful week rediscovering that I'm a robot (can't believe how many robot references I'm running into in my older sillly survey posts now) and then a cool weekend wrapping it up. I know I got weird all over twitter, but I have to tell you, it was so cool and exciting to be so awake and 'on' after so many years of struggling through brain glitches, really really hoping this was a sign that more healing and recovery is going on.

The coolest thing that happened was THIS. You can see it on twitter here.

I know! O_O SEVEN OF NINE!!!! Plus Wil Wheaton being tagged by Bonnie Burton quoting MY tweet? Excuse me while I burble happily around my kitchen again.

It's the little things, you know? And if that weren't enough, a really nice tweep also tagged Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy to follow me (they didn't, seriously doubt they will) over this one, see the original.

Other little things happening this last week that, oh, I dunno, sent me floating right out of the galaxy were being contacted about translating my Lexx blog content into Russian and then discovering it had been linked on a Japanese site. I know that because I had to run the ping through a translator. I've always gotten global traffic and I've been translated before, but after shutting it all down for a couple of years, let's just say my projections were a lot lower than what's actually happening in the time frame I scheduled out, in spite of the whole Xanga relaunch mess freaking me out.

And of course, Cabot ... My favorite cheesemaker popping up for a howdy was so cute.

I'm not even sad that Tony Solo isn't following me on twitter. Call it a glitch, whatevs (mine does that too, & people get indignant like I did it on purpose), but it's true I got a little stalker-y (I ~love~ him ), and it was FUN! I'm developing a little empathy now for my own stalkers, even though I'm already working on being more tolerant than in years past when I just blocked everyone right and left. I blocked over 5000 people on my old facebook just to see if there was a limit, but seems the only blocking limit on facebook is Mark Zuckerberg. I tried every which way, he's immune.

And OH YEAH winning the zombie hand (<--pix) from Syfy!

I think I'm finally coming down from that crazy bizarro week-long sleepless stint, my brain seems to still be really on and intact instead of crashing back down like I assumed it would, and for the first time in years I feel like I'm about getting back to somewhat normal, if I even have a normal any more. I think maybe I went through some kind of weird inner diagnostic and systems check in nerve central or something, or at least crossing my fingers hoping that's what it was, just thrilled I didn't start having seizures because it was truly weird being awake for a WEEK. Gotta use it while I got it, guys, twitter is just a safe place to happy out all over people. I'd make a good dog, following people around and licking their faces.

Hilary Stagg - Edge of Forever Am loving that article calling him an angle, like people have done me- I like to think that angles are the ones who help the rest to meet and join together, if I may be excused in mathily twisting a visual pun on social interaction. I love finding other angles. We know who we are. This was a random thought and not connected to anything.

Last edited by Pinky; 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    We celebrate birthday week around here, already been a big deal.

But I want to say by far the best internet birthday EVER is here on SyfyDesigns looking at my stats.

http://www.syfydesigns.com/entry.php...n-on-JJ-Abrams This is your brain on JJ Abrams 6000+ views

http://www.syfydesigns.com/entry.php...eview-SPOILERS Star Trek Into Darkness movie review- SPOILERS 2300+ views

http://www.syfydesigns.com/entry.php?31-Coffee-Nerd-II Coffee Nerd II 1600+ views

http://www.syfydesigns.com/entry.php?28-Coffee-Nerd Coffee Nerd 2300+ views

http://www.syfydesigns.com/entry.php...ashing-fandoms smashing fandoms 2000+ views

See more Pinky blog posts at http://www.syfydesigns.com/blog.php?251-Pinky

Pinky Stuff blurbs http://www.syfydesigns.com/showthrea...70-Pinky-Stuff 7400+ views

http://www.syfydesigns.com/showthrea...-LEXX-what-one Watch an Episode of Lexx 4300+ views

Lexx- The Dark Zone Stories http://www.syfydesigns.com/showthrea...k-Zone-Stories 2000+ views

I've done my best not to whine about my blog host moving to new servers and shredding my launch timetable, and the best support I've had getting through it has been coming over here and playing around. I can't say enough how much I appreciate myke letting me in here to splat myself all over his website, it really saved my year.

This one goes out to all my special tweeps, MerLexxians, Snarkalecs, aspies, my watchdogs list, and what the heck Henry Winkler for tweeting with me last month. http://www.syfydesigns.com/showthrea...full=1#post904 Everybody go follow Henry Winkler on twitter and tell him Pinky sent you. https://twitter.com/hwinkler4real

Last edited by Pinky; 10-24-2013, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    So my father-in-law came within about 10 minutes of dying of 100% blockage on Scott's daughter's birthday this week, was thankfully in an ambulance when he coded (that's the 10 minutes). It also happened to be my own parents' wedding anniversary and only five days after my mother's death anniversary. The man is a walking miracle, 15 year lung cancer survivor and still smoking, also previously a heavy drinker, and he's had plenty of other days to scare people on because 100% blockage piles up over a long period of time, so I'm going to make an observation--

Talk about a cosmic target. Scott and I have been joking all year about the drastic interruptions that keep happening out of the blue right on top of my own sparse joys and plans, especially since I decided last year to publish. I become directly involved with other people's stuff in an eyeblink almost on a weekly basis, and I started saying not even someone dying was going to stop me getting this book published. We both know the portent of tempting fate, but morbidly placed bets on who would die first, and how. So I apologize in advance to all my friends and loved ones who have general bad days until my book comes out. You might wanna step back from me, or take precautions just in case.

Now skip to this book I'm writing and why it's so important that some evil cosmos dude would try to put a stop to it. I have survived some pretty bad stuff, not the least of which was Munchausen by proxy. I understand the twisted weirdness of emotional sabotage, neglect, and abandonment because I've lived through it. I've joked in the past that I am the Jack Bauer of depression survival, and if I accomplish nothing else with the rest of my life, I dearly want to share hope and survival methods with others who feel like they're drowning in a sea of sadness and despair. Throw in me being on the autism spectrum and my dad being a Mennonite, along with a few other goodies like lots of sexual repression and bloody death all around me as a child, I hope to rock out a good story.

I really am writing, and someone dying isn't going to stop me, although dropping everything to race my mother-in-law to the hospital behind the ambulance kinda canceled out a phone call I'd planned to make to my publisher. This has gotten eerily uncanny, and started feeling personal a little over a year ago. It's not a joke any more. I know a few answers to life, the universe, and everything, and I'm not afraid to say it, and it feels like I'm struggling against the cosmic powers to make it happen now. Case in point, Xanga suddenly uprooting and nearly destroying the two main blogs this book is heavily based on, after 9 years of blogging. So many people suffer because I won't relent...

Yes, I've talked to my psychologist about feeling like a cosmic target. No, he says I'm still not crazy. But he agrees the timing is getting kinda freaky. I'm actually terrified to win a lottery at this point.

Disclaimer- I'm not really so egocentric that I believe what's in my head creates your reality, but just in case you believe it, utter a prayer of protection and wear clean underwear every day just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    Now, that gets a person a little misty, doesn't it? Twitter newbie makes one of my most obscure and unrecognized geek puns her very first retweet.

@LafayetteMsGay apparently knows the thickest physics book I have in my house and totally gets the significance of me insinuating the Doctor is reading it. I know the author appreciated it when it happened because he did this.

And 6 people retweeted HIM. (Still extremely flattering for moi, so glad I went back and saw that.)

Wanna follow a physicist or two? These guys. My favorites. Click their pics to go to their twitters and follow.

Guys, I can't take zyrtec. I know, I tried it again as an experiment, it's doing nasty things to me so I skipped it again, and here we are again, wanting coffee at 1 a.m. again. Kinda missed this middle of the night brain surging. Again.

I'm listening to this and hoping I feel sleepy soon. I guess shutting the laptop back off would help. Again. I know, it's all Bradley again lately, isn't it? I've been very stressed.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    This really happened. Henry Winkler.

Couple of bystanders got cool shoutouts.

Then he tangled with a few Snarkalecs.

Tony Solo threw a live shoutout invitation to Mr. Winkler to join the Snarkalecs near the end of show 29. You can check out the celebrities already in the Snarkalec list. Tony tweeted while he was talking on a live show, so this is understandable, but his spelling has been off all week since he nearly died last weekend, so I just cracked up.

Hope I didn't miss anyone, I try to be a good historian.

So all y'alls go FF Henry Winkler on twitter.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    I figured out today how acceptable mind control will come about. I was going straight through a busy intersection along the Medical Mile and noticed every driver in both lanes at the 90 degree angle off to my right had cell phones up to their ears.

We can't stop this. There is only one workable solution going forward. Brain implants.

Think about it. You could Bluetooth with wireless chips under your scalp, it's the same thing as the chips being in devices. I can also foresee traffic software brain downloads, as well, that help our brains oversee the correct movements when our conscious selves aren't paying enough attention. Real time GPS synchronizing along with a feedback integration in our awareness will cut traffic accidents so drastically (and save us going through drivers testing) that we will happily comply with upgrade downloads in our sleep every time there is a new sign erected or a highway construction change, etc. Traffic tickets will become obsolete. This will also in turn solve other problems like car theft, drunk driving, and high speed police chases.

If you could get a 98% guarantee that your high school or college age child would never get hurt or killed in a traffic accident, would you support a government mandated traffic chip implant for the right to drive? Seems way over the top, doesn't it? But so do statistics about traffic fatalities, never mind the comprehensive financial impacts of minor crashes that skyrocket our car insurance. I can't see this NOT happening once brain software is developed for mass consumption.

And while other people drive around with cell phones against their heads and steering wheels, I still drive around with a pen in one hand and a camera in the other. I had a picture of this and accidentally deleted it while I was in traffic at a stop light trying to do something else. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    Once a week I need a 'down' day where I don't think about anything and just wander slowly around doing laundry and stuff with my brain disengaged.

That isn't happening this week.

I have a publisher calling now (*joy*) (I'm not a phone person), projects lined up every weekend, stuff to take care of around town through the week, and Xanga driving me crazy now that my blogs are halfway back up and I don't know yet if I'll be rebuilding my templates from scratch on a whole new host system WHILE I'm under pressure to get my manuscript pulled together and edited. By the way, Ellen Dubin DMd me at 2 a.m.

so pass this on-

Dead Before Dawn 3D Premiere Screening
    **Cast & Crew in Attendance for Q&A and Photo Opportunities**
    TCL Chinese 6 Theatres - 6801 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90028
    (323) 461-3331 www.tclchinesetheatres.com
    WHEN: Friday September 6th, 2013 7:30pm (playing for one week)
    TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqN4AggoCAw

My first priority today is repurposing some of the five dozen eggs I continually rotate through my fridge.

I have six hens, best laying bunch I've ever had, and if you think about organic eggs running $6-7 a dozen in some places, I've got golden eggs. This all sounds like a good thing until you run into new restrictions on selling without a permit or sharing without being health certified, but it all evens out later because they slow down to 1-2 eggs a day for about 3 months in the winter and then I wish I had more. So I have a plan. This is the time of year to stockpile baked holiday goodies in the big freezer so I can use up the half dozen eggs still coming in nearly every day, and then I won't need the eggs later because this stuff will already be done. Cool, huh? Thankfully, I love doing this kind of stuff, and I can let my brain flop around under the table to process stuff while I play in the kitchen. Or, if I'm being honest, this is my avoidance behavior when I'm in aspie overload.

Or this works, too. Oopsie.

While I'm doing this I'm listening to some awesome Lexx interviews on my friend chatins youtube channel. Spoiler alert if you've not seen Lexx.

If you'd prefer looking at Xenia Seeberg for 20 minutes here you go.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    So the new blue lines on twitter could never have kept up with this conversation. And I document it here before it is lost to the twitter dust of the ages. Behold, your new twitter god. Or your new fake beer. Whatevs.

Sorry if this is a rerun, but I need a brain cleanser after all that.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    Right off the bat, I did NOT dream about the 'blue lines' thing that suddenly showed up in twitter, from my last blurb before this one. Or maybe I did because I'm psychic. But you can't prove it.

This has been one of my epic fail weeks, thanks to more rigorous physical therapy than I'm used to. Even with a carefully constructed list I've managed to forget to
    -pay my fitness center bill
    -stop by the post office to pick up a gift of Stargate Universe from a cool Snarkalec
    -pick up COFFEE
    -and, as incredulous as this is, I, the bacon guru in this house, ran out of bacon just before International Bacon Day. On Labor Day weekend.

MY BAD.

But. I did secure a niiiice publishing contract. Sweeeeet. So maybe this week isn't a total loss.

Good things about this week-

-football has started

-I'm in the Snarkalecs fantasy league

-Xanga is finally moving to their new servers and the long wait is nearly over

-and a Merlin fan got a slew of Bradley James pix during a charity cricket match

Anybody who missed me on a Snarkalec live chat last Sunday can catch that here, if you think you can sit through over two hours of me fidgeting in front of a laptop. I think I come in around 8 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Pinky
    replied
    I just had the most horrible nightmare. And right off the bat I have to thank the couple of people in my Merlin list feed on twitter that pointed out golf was invented by the Scots.

I was dreaming about twitter in this weird real time 3D metaphorical thing, like the South Park ep about Facebook, only way better. Each twitter user/avatar was its own little person, and the yap going on was like flitting in and out of lots of rooms in a house (my timeline), and outside feed was metaphorically set up a lot like the world outside the house. Threaded conversations, can I even describe those- maybe not, but it was kinda like little groups of users, only each user could appear simultaneously in several groups (conversations), like electrons can simultaneously go through two different slits.

So there was a new twitter app available, I downloaded it, and instantly each conversation took on a whole new depth of its own. I was having a little trouble jumping from one convo to another like you can on a twitter feed, but each conversation had its own group tag where you could glance down the original twitter feed and see different entire conversations happening in real time from the outside, like watching lots of tiny TV screens down your feed. Jumping in and out of them from the timeline itself was easy, but you couldn't jump from one conversation to another without going back to the main timeline first, which I thought was something that needed fixing on the app. Looking back on the way I was dreaming this makes me marvel at the human brain's capacity to 'map' multidimensionally what we actually do in our lives.

Anyway, several of the conversations were about Merlin, a couple in particular were about Bradley James, and even though I was busy being frustrated about the obvious lack of app ease, I spied one tag wherein guys were gathered around a King Arthur buried up to his head, even in full armor, and they were all holding golf clubs and about to start swinging. I jumped into the conversation to see what in the world, surely there wasn't going to be this kind of bloody violence and watching Arthur's head smashed to bits by laughing guys with golf clubs. I'd expect more of that kind of stuff in other threads, like zombies or Batfleck, or especially VMAs, but NOT King Arthur...?!?!?!?

Sure enough, they were about to bludgeon the poor guy to death, and I was all like I do NOT want to see this horrible violence in my feed! So I was about to delete the tag but I stopped because I got stuck in the app and couldn't get out of the conversation. Would *I* be deleted when I deleted the app??? O_O There was nothing left to do but get brave and plunge into the swinging golf clubs and protect Arthur's head from a blood bath while trying to grab the clubs and yank them away. And about then I woke up.

It was a really cool app. Twitter needs tags like that for threaded conversations, although I have no idea logistically how in the world they could pull it off. But I'm still upset about using King Arthur's head for group golf practice.

Leave a comment:

• GuidoSpock
    replied
    Yeah, I know, I'm logging in with my jail account. It's still Pinky. Me and the laptop are having a knock-down-drag-out today on general principal.

I'm normally not one to jump at world headlines, but my impassioned plea to the media today is PLEEEAAASSSEEE don't turn Batman into a Ben-Lo event... It just screams desperation to mass merch, right? This is from 2011, click to go to the site if you're feeling nostalgic.

Click this one for relevant commentary- "Wear this WTT when you're...
    making the single worst movie of your career."

The Ben Affleck announcement promises to turn Batman into the biggest fan wars the internet has probably ever seen. If I weren't already so sick of hearing every jot and tittle about Ben and J-Lo I'd probably find it amusing. Click the pic to get to the meme page.

Some people aren't finding it amusing...

If you already can't wait to see Ben Affleck as the new Batman, you're 1) an easy sell, and 2) an easy sell.

Did you catch the J-Lo cameo? =)

See more animated Lego vids by vnanimation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X