Lexxperience Giggarota the Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexxperience Giggarota the Wicked

(Edit: Deep apologies for the egregious typo, didn't catch it before I linked this out everywhere. Giggerota with an e, not an a.)

I initially wrote my Giggerota character review series during a weird time of being quite ill and trying very hard to fake being ok because Ellen was getting hold of me on Facebook and being so kindly interactive with my Facebook fan group. Since publishing, Giggy characters posts have consistently come in a hard first place among readers on my Lexxperience blog, possibly because I've written more content about that character, but still unexpected given the voracity I've seen in the fandom for other characters.

When I was first blogging on Xanga (at GrandFortuna's League of 20,000 Planets http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/), an interview I shared with a link back to Wormhole Riders got over 800 hits before Xanga migrated their servers and I lost the stats (Here it is on Lexxperience- https://lexxperience.blogspot.com/20...-wormhole.html). The reason I posted that (I don't usually share interview links in blog posts) was because a friend of mine on twitter who wrote reviews for Wormhole Riders knew I'd been talking to Ellen (first timestamped here on SyfyDesigns! linked in the preview thumbnail) and they gave me a live shout out on twitter during the interview.

I'm going to start this thread with the four part post Giggy character series, and after that might come a few other posts I've made regarding Ellen.
    Forum for General Discussions, anything not related to Science or Science Fiction
    Last edited by Pinky; 11-28-2020, 02:13 PM. Reason: typo apology
    790: You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation.
    I have no sense of self-preservation and I can always be reassembled.

Giggerota the Wicked, Part One

Pix click to sources, which contain lots more material on Giggerota. (The links on the pix were broken pasting over here, but still sourced in the original post at https://lexxperience.blogspot.com/20...-part-one.html)

At first glance, Giggerota looks like an ordinary human gone way out of control, a captured fugitive from the law, not just a serial murderer, but a cannibal as well. Why, then, did His Shadow's biggest enemy, the arch heretic known as Thodin, rescue her from certain death during sentencing on the Cluster? Because he nearly didn't. It's possible that even in his rush, Thodin believed so strongly that His Shadow was enemy to all that every person under that Shadow had to be freed, that he couldn't walk away with that nagging guilt right here in the heart of the Cluster after all the years he'd spent working diligently to get there. As it turned out later, his brief act of compassion was a very good thing, even though Giggerota was a very bad person. We'll come back to that.

Screen snips are difficult since the action is a little blurry, but here you can appreciate that she is literally wearing her husband, a symbol of her defiance against the tyranny that created her.

Created her? Why do I say that? If you've not yet seen I Worship His Shadow, don't worry, this really won't spoil anything for you and might even make the scenes less confusing, once the action starts up. Lexx is a hit and run kind of show that expects you to keep up.

Let's think about "Giggy" for a moment. We don't see other people like her, especially when we are shocked in the second movie Super Nova to see that she has been genetically altered. Those of us who've ventured all the way through the Lexx series know that bioviziers from the Cluster can animate the dead, but what else can they do? They are brilliant geniuses given free license for experimentation without limitation- nothing is too taboo. I believe Giggerota is the result of one of their experiments. This is conjecture, but other reviewers hint to the possibility of genetic modification, as well.

Divine Assassins were animated rebuilt corpses of former enemies programmed to carry out instant 'justice', Cluster style. The modifications that designed Giggerota may have originally been intended to create a living breed of assassins that could replicate themselves. Giggy is smart, yet severely restricted in focus due to a driving instinctual blood lust. She can reason in a very limited way. It's as if the bioviziers were attempting to install an Insect hard drive into a genetically human body. (Mantrid later succeeded in combining his human mind with Insect Essence into a machine.)

I mention in I Worship His Shadow- part 5- The Time Prophet that His Shadow, despite apparently having a hive mind, is alone among humans. I think His Shadow was keen on creating a new Order of Insects after his kind were wiped out in the Insect Wars. We never find out whether Giggerota possesses Insect Essence or could pass that along if she did, but we do know His Shadow definitely wants her dead now. She is an experiment gone horribly awry, killing priests and smashing up temples, something not allowed in a society where religion is government control. Giggerota's rebellions presented the possible danger of leading others into an uprising.

A note on Insect Essence from Insect Tech... or, Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Bugs... Speculations on the Insect Civilisation-

"In Mantrid we're told it's the insects equivalent of a human "soul" or a computer "program." Without it, the Insect cannot become fully alive. It is the motivating force/mind life energy of the Insect."

Giggerota's first instinct, once freed, is to follow the meat instead of help free the other prisoners.

We saw in an earlier scene that fresh protein gathered from prisoners sentenced to death goes straight to the Lexx.

Since I'll be doing more in-depth on what actually happens as I continue the Lexx film review, let's skip to why Giggerota turns out to be so important.

First of all, I can't assume Thodin didn't know who and what Giggerota was. If you've read Heresy in the First Degree- Thodin of the Ostral-B Pair, you know I think that Giggy and Thodin were both on B3K before they were put on the prisoner transport for the Cluster. She's originally from Boron-7, which we get no further mention of or info about after her sentencing on the Cluster, so anything I think about it is my own leap into pure conjecture. I'll simply state that I think Boron-7 is one of the 'lab' planets where experiments are worked on away from regular society. Giggerota was 'born' there because she was created there. I don't believe she had parents and a normal childhood. Imagination can run wild about the secret horrors happening on Boron-7, and Thodin probably knew about it through his info-gathering underground network.

Thodin has been fighting against His Divine Shadow probably all his life, is famous throughout the League of 20,000 Planets and beyond, and I believe was hiding out on B3K after his own planet was destroyed, presumably by the planet destroyer known as the Megashadow, since Kai had damaged the Foreshadow. I think Giggerota wound up on B3K because she was sent there to be integrated into society. Rare scenes of temple weddings on B3K allude to a thriving well-ordered society that 'educates' women for the wife bank and regurgitates them into strictly monitored couples who continue to procreate and serve His Shadow. (We find out in the fourth movie Giga Shadow that people are the cattle that literally feed Order.)

Zev instinctively belting her new husband across the chops during the Giggerota rebellion was really bad timing, although I doubt Zev's sentence would have been reduced at any other time, given the harshness of their laws and judicial system. I also doubt Zev knew who Giggy was since she'd been in a box probably right up to the wedding, never seeing the outside world, but they wound up on a prisoner transport together, and later wound up on the Lexx together, Zev being genetically modified herself as well by then. These two both represent women starting out as less than third class citizens with their status being reduced to virtual property of the government, as I point out about Zev in I Worship His Shadow- Part 9- Thodin. Knowing all this, I believe Thodin likes that Giggerota backfired and rebelled against Order, and he probably freed her so she could go on to create more chaos. Distraction from his own plan to steal the Lexx could only be a good thing, right?

Back to why Giggerota is so important to the story. Hang on, let me briefly interrupt myself.

Lexx trivia about Giggerota from Ellen Dubin's facebook page.
    "Ellen is also a cult figure in the sci-fi world for playing the wild alien cannibal Giggerota the Wicked in the international cult hit LEXX. She has the distinction of doing all four seasons and playing four different characters in this very popular show. Ellen played the first female Pope in sci-fi history in LEXX."

So right off the bat, there's that, but let's go a bit deeper. Giggerota's heavy influence haunted the crew far beyond death, as we shall see.

In season one, Giggerota is the one who gets Stanley to the bridge of the Lexx after Thodin is killed. Stanley accidentally got the key from one of the heretics after Thodin passed it along and then a cluster lizard ate the heretic. Once Stanley activated the Lexx with the key, it was Giggerota's idea to go to the Frontier, beyond the reach of the League of 20,000. Despite being thrown off the bridge and presumably dying, she shows up in the next movie, scavenging for food, tearing off and eating pieces of the Lexx...

...until she is caught again and tied up.

This is where we find out Giggerota is likely a product of bioengineering and possibly hosting Insect Essence, as evidenced by the Divine Predecessors in the tail section of the Lexx being able to contact her after the others leave her behind to explore Brunnis. The brains are apparently already aware of what's going on, presumably because they've had contact with Giggerota all along. Not much is known about Insect Essence, but I'm concluding from this that it allows for communication across distance, like a psychic link. This further confirms in my mind that Giggy is a product created by bioviziers with the intention of working for purposes that served His Shadow.

Despite her being a super egocentric psychopath with limited reasoning skills, the Predecessors are able to negotiate a deal with Giggerota to venture onto Brunnis and bring Stanley back so she can make the Lexx fly to a wonderful feast on Dexter 9, the secret planet of the milk fed boys. At first we think this backfires because she only brings back Stan's hand after she gets frustrated and bites it off.

Here we learn something vital about the key. One would presume that Stanley's hand must be brought back alive and still attached for the key to work, as the key can only exist in a living body. We must remember the key is a bio-amalgam of Insect Essence and Stan's hand. His hand apparently won't die just because it's bitten off, which the brains know but Giggy doesn't. A few Predecessors suffer a bit of shredding amid Giggy's frustrated rants when they chide her epic fail, but they're able to trick her, convincing her to go back for Stanley. After she leaves the Lexx again, the Predecessors practice communicating directly with the Insect essence within the key in Stan's hand until it recognizes the user and follows commands.

Since what I just said about the key brings up more questions, knowing that protoblood animates dead flesh, but the key will flee a dying body, just accept that essence and protoblood are two different Insect things, and that the key has been biochemically manipulated and coded, like a living software program. The key itself can't die, but it also won't keep the user animated beyond death. The Predecessors were still able to use the key in a severed hand because it hadn't fled the hand, since Stanley obviously wasn't anywhere near death when his hand was bitten off.

We were vitally distracted from why Giggerota's presence is still so important on Brunnis, despite all the damage and suffering she inflicted. If she hadn't been there, Stanley would never have been rescued from Poet Man, simply put.

And not to put too blunt a spoiler here, but since that's the extent of Giggerota's importance in season one, she croaked off, and I'm not going to tell you how, in case you haven't seen the show. But don't worry, we haven't seen the last of her by a long shot. By the way, if Giggerota really did have Insect Essence incorporated into her, this is the perfect way to actually kill her, aside from dismemberment and becoming Lexx food on the Cluster. I'm not sure she was killable otherwise.

Since this post is already pretty lengthy, I'll continue my Giggerota character review in a later post or two.

Giggerota was played by Ellen Dubin, who mentioned last spring that she still has the original Pope costume. Like her facebook page and follow her on twitter because she's really good about linking current projects and fan interaction.

My favorite latest announcement is that Ellen will once again be working with Jeffrey Hirschfield (the voice of 790), executive producer of The Time Is Right.

Go on to part two.

Posted by Janika at 1:12 PM

Comment

gettin Giggy with the afterlife: Giggerota- Part Two

Pix are my own snips, hosted at LexxPix.

Ok, where were we? Giggerota bit the big one, so we are really surprised when she suddenly shows up in season two, episode 14 "Patches in the Sky". (The external, I mean Lexxternal links there are awesome.) Turns out she's part of some really creepy nightmares.

It's psychologically interesting that Stan dreams of Giggerota, who was a cannibal, just before they discover the entire Light Universe is disappearing bit by bit, as if it's being swallowed up by a big nothing.

It's also interesting that Stan, Captain of the Lexx, is the one having the nightmares about getting mired and stuck and trapped and threatened. At first glance it almost looks like he's having a premonition about the end of the universe and doesn't know yet he is the only one who can truly do anything about it, although I'm not sure the writers had that in mind.

Yes, it all starts off with the guilt thing, which we know actually goes clear back to a complicated mess of Reform Planets being blown up, resulting in the deaths of 685 billion people because he got caught with the codes, and yes, it turns into a payback nightmare, but why Giggerota? He dreamed of the globe with her in it before he ever sat in the narco-lounger, so again, I call premonition. But what of?

One could make an argument at this point that Giggerota's soul was on its way to the planet Fire in the Dark Zone (season 3), and this dream representation could partially be a real haunting.

It's pretty scary that a murderer is demanding that Stanley face being a murderer himself. Is this really Stan's own brain tormenting him? Again I ask, why Giggerota? After everything Stan has been through, it could have been any number of people representing the dead in his nightmares, and this is especially weird because Stanley didn't kill her.

What makes this point of view even more interesting is that his argument with her about his guilt and sins is almost identical to what Prince says to him in season 3, after which Stan winds up in hell, so one could go further out on the branch and presuppose this is Prince already playing his games while he waits for the Lexx to reach Fire. This won't be the first time we see Stanley trapped up to his head.

"More than anything else, you are afraid of death! That's what I'm going to bring you."

Thank goodness things start going wrong outside the dream bubble, interrupting it in progress, although it wasn't good for Gubby.

Since this isn't a Patches in the Sky review, I'm not going to say more about it, except that the dream imagery is really cool when you notice it goes through a gradient reduction, like planet rubble. It might be easy to overlook what's happening until you remember Stanley's history, which is why we're all here watching Lexx in the first place.

I'm known to overthink things, but Giggerota is a really fun character to overthink. And you guessed it, there's a part three and a part four coming.

Go back to part one.
      Go on to part three.

Posted by Janika at 4:30 PM

Comment

It's Good to be Queen- Giggerota, Part Three

I normally grab awesome pix from Angelbacchae's screen captures or her newer site The Pic Bug, but it looks like she's currently transitioning some of her Lexx, so I'm grabbing my own pix again, which are hosted at LexxPix.

Girltown is a conundrum, so I'm going to start immediately with a disclaimer. I'll try to stick to Giggy, but to understand her character this season, we need to look at where she is and why.

Since Girltown is on the planet Fire (basically, hell) and the only thing the inhabitants seem to be trapped there for at first glance is being alt-sexual, most reviewers simply say homosexual, and some especially plead the case that Girltown is the only city on Fire where some of the inhabitants didn't deserve to be in hell. I agree with this first glance.

However, since we really don't know what their previous lives were like (human trafficking, sex slavery, prostitution, blackmail, drug pushing, snitching and spying, keeping their mouths shut instead of diverting the crimes of others, and yes, actual murder by OD or other means to solve a problem- all the fun 'party' stuff that more innocent viewers don't know go on in the underground, plus we must remember that many of them don't remember their past, so pleading innocence on Fire is moot) and completely glosses over bisexuals, transsexuals, asexuals, and the myriad of other orientations out there (pedophiles would be especially tormented on Fire, since it lacks children), I'd rather not lump it into a simple "gays go to hell" debate. For instance, Mantrid's servant is an interesting study I look forward to doing. He seems to be like Bunny, 'innocent', but will do anything for his obsessive love and devotion to the most evil man in the two universes. Anyway, Lexx has been known to be gay-friendly throughout the series, so we can't stop at shallow here.

I think the roots of their being there go deeper than simple sexuality issues, including bondage for slave labor (of which S&M is a necessary duality, a kind of understood partnership), which I'll deal with later when I do a review on the Girltown episode (season 3, episode 11). I'll also immediately point out that group sex is a big thing on Boomtown, and no one questions that on Water (basically, heaven), so let's knock the homosexual thing out of the way right off the bat. And with that, I give a nod to a Lexxplorations reviewer, who spent a considerable amount of time on many Lexx quotes and Lexxellent critical thinking. I think I know what the deal is behind that lengthy puzzle. And having said that, now I'll say I agree that some mistakes are made, as Prince pointed out, and perhaps some of the girls' souls were dragged there by their handlers from a past life, because handlers own their slaves. Some viewers/readers may not be familiar with trafficking vernacular.

Ok, back to Giggy.

Right before we we see Giggerota again, we see a gloved hand adjust a setting by turning a wheel.

Then we pan down to a fire underneath what looks like a really big cauldron. Since we're already on Fire, where everyone is so miserable with the heat, it's odd that we're actually seeing a deliberately controlled fire.

We know this face. And we can tell she likes the fire.

Turns out Giggerota is Queen of Girltown, only we find out in a little bit that she doesn't remember having been Giggerota at all (which raises the question of why she's not in the Tunnels with the rest of the serial murderers, but I'll get there in a minute). Hell apparently isn't hot enough for her, so her throne is a hot tub. Nearly boiling hot, in fact.

The first and biggest question that comes to my own mind is Why a queen? Why her?

At first it seems like she's being coddled, and her voice starts off soft, which is the sort of scene we might have expected on Water for someone who's led a good and decent life, but that changes real quick when she sees Stanley, who's been captured and jailed. Queen thinks Stanley is a girl, a derogatory term which has weirdly lost its original meaning, as the 'girls' of Girltown are lower-classed slave labor that also happen to all be men.

And then we are utterly creeped out when Queen finds out Stanley has never died before...

It doesn't take long to notice Queen oversees every minute detail in a society that segregates itself into girls and boys, a subset of Shes (plural of she) versus the Non-Shes that live outside of Girltown.

Queen sits in judgement at the top of a bedchamber in which Rivet sits holding a gavel attached to a torture device around her arm, supervising the points of order while Queen directs the council speakers.

Queen calls "Quorum!" and then says "Begin!" with a wink, a gesture that carries significance within a certain power group. I'm not sure the Beans were insinuating or intending anything of the sort here, but it makes sense if they did, since it would mean Queen is the one elite power on Fire.

Queen is seen by the council only through the screen.

By the way, Wrench is misspelled on imdb to Wench. Socket disputing Wrench's amendment doesn't make sense if the name is misspelled, which changes the meaning. Wrench throws a wrench into the proceedings, get it? And all the 'boys' have tool names. Getting the puns are key to understanding why these people and their pettiness are in hell. I mean, on Fire. #facepalm
        #darnthesepunstoheck #thatwasaDilbertreference
        #Imenjoyingthiswaytoomuch (Also, I like to think that Lewis would have enjoyed this episode after all the work he put into The Prilgrim's Regress.)

The whole argument in court boils down to Stanley not being a girl because even though he looks like one, he doesn't behave like nor is dressed like one (like the transgendered slaves), and since it's obvious he's not a boy (like the transgendered council members), he must be a Non-She, which the council finds quite shocking. They have no other word for men. All men outside of Girltown are called Non-Shes and considered very dangerous. Queen wants them to get to the point. Giggerota was always a person of few very to the point words.

The question of whether Stanley might be Prince in disguise comes up, or that his sudden appearance in Girltown might be a plot by Duke to gain a foothold for power. Since Queen has already interrogated Stanley and knows he is a "first timer", she stays patient through the debate over which of three motions should be voted on for the highest punishment, which is death, and then makes her own motion to claim Stanley's body, which is immediately carried and voted yes without question.

I'm about to make some really big observations about the overall power structure on Fire. Prince fans may not like what I'm about to conclude. It's a line of psych-analytical reasoning that I am first to admit could be entirely wrong, but it actually works for so many questions that pop up with fans. I'll be gentle, but it's still going to feel like I'm ripping off a bandaid, ok? Let's think it through.

One can gather from the council discussion that the alt-sexed who wake up in Girltown are all familiar with the way sex is used to create a power structure, and where their places are in that structure. On Water, all sexes are equal and equally enjoyed. The question of innocence and not belonging on Fire might have nothing at all to do with being gay or otherwise alt-sexed, but how one behaves with it toward those who are different from themselves. Intolerance is obviously prevalent throughout Girltown, and even the 'girls' who proclaimed innocence didn't blink at killing a couple of 'boys' instead of simply overpowering and binding them up as slaves themselves (turn about is fair play, right), so they are, in fact, murderers and showed no remorse over doing it. Anyone different from oneself is of no consequence. I believe that is at the root of them winding up on Fire. Sexuality and orientation itself is not the issue. Plus, we must remember that the murdered boys will simply wake up again and go back to their original jobs, so that didn't really solve or change anything.

We could have all kinds of fun tying Giggerota's past rebellion against the stifling Divine Order, which tried to force pair her for its own agenda, to her current overseeing of a gender bent culture that turns sadomasochism into an all new Order. If His Divine Shadow is the male symbol of hell in the Light Universe, Queen is the female symbol on Fire. Neither one has a mate, and each is one of a kind. His Shadow is, in actual essence (Insect Essence), part of a non-human hive mind and actually sexless as far as we know (not counting his host), and Fire seems to be an exclusively human afterlife. (Note that Xev, being part Cluster Lizard, was able to outlive, outmanueuver, and outthink Prince on Fire.) So by default, Queen is a sole monarchy, virtually equivalent to His Shadow being a sole overlord or god of sorts. Queen is what happens when bioviziers strip Giggerota's soul out of her genetically restructured brain and body. The other serial murderers in the Tunnels with the worst of the worst on Fire were, simply put, natural murderers. Giggerota was created to murder, and even His Shadow had to 'put her down' when she got out of hand. She is the Queen of murderers, if you will, created by the second biggest murderer in the Light Universe (His Shadow pales to Mantrid, who, incidentally, wound up in the Tunnels), and she, too, is now sexless and bodiless, just like His Divine Shadow.

When Stanley says he's willing to do anything Queen wants and that he can make her happy, Queen replies, "Queen can never be happy. Life is difficult for Queen. Prince rules this planet. Duke wants to rule it. And will Queen ever get a chance? No. Because Queen is stuck here in this cesspool. And all we can do in Girltown is make balloons." And she goes on about how awful it is doing nothing but holding meetings and making balloons. She feels like she's missing all the action while everyone else on Fire attacks Water or each other while she stagnates. Her personal hell? "There's no body for Queen." Pretty awesome retribution for someone who feasted on other people's bodies. Queen would actually be happy in hell if she weren't stuck in a cauldron.

So, she sees herself as the bottom of the power structure, instead of embracing Girltown as the cornerstone of a power structure. Jealous of Prince and Duke being able to stride around fighting each other and waging war on Water, Queen thinks she simply can't advance until she is free of her cauldron, little realizing that neither Prince nor Duke can win anything without winning Girltown first.

Queen obviously trumps Prince as a baddie, and even being stuck in her cauldron holds a few cards over him. Prince doesn't seem, from our point of view, to mess around that much with Girltown, although we can tell from the council discussion that he has clearly tried in the past. The Prince of Fire, being a persona that one could argue represents the son of perdition, could also be reasonably argued to be next in line for the crown, except that on Fire, there is no succession since this is Death. Prince often talks of escaping Fire, even though he seems to be the most powerful person there, except for Girltown. Why? Is he really trying to get away from his mother? (Metaphorically.) (Slipped a little Freud in there, which I'm sure he'd find amusingly charming. Forgive me, I'm having fun Freuding up Dantean Lexx.)

Aristocracy is a funny thing. It's stifling for the kids who are anxious for some real action of their own, while the adults sit around minding the store, which pretty much runs itself since everything is already set into place. It was mentioned during the council meeting that Duke was more capable of sending spies to sabotage Girltown than Prince was, and they all seemed aware that banishing Prince by death couldn't stop him showing up in disguise again, so we know they've had experience with both Duke and Prince. We can look at Duke and Prince as rivaling cousins trying to capture Girltown before the other does. Capturing Girltown is the key to changing the ultimate power structure on Fire before the Lexx arrives, and I'll show you why.

Queen's Girltown runs the balloon industry, providing transportation for the entire planet, giving Girltown a pretty sweet spot in the hierarchy of ownership. Girltown houses a smoothly operating slave labor of 'girls' (hence the name Girltown), a voraciously mean army of young leather-clad 'boys', and a judicial system of hardened and utterly unmerciful older 'boys'. Does this tightly controlled power structure remind anyone of the Cluster? By comparison, the other cities on Fire don't seem nearly as resourceful and organized. Since this is so very unlike Giggerota, who was hellbent (get it?) on creating chaos and tearing down Order, I think it's important to ask why such a leap has happened with her character.

I think Queen is the new Shadow, a remnant from the Cluster. Giggerota the cannibal and the Giga Shadow were both insatiable in their lust for eating humans. Also remember, I said in Part One that I think she was unkillable until the Super Nova took her out, and now I think that is why Prince needs the Lexx. Follow me here, let's think about this. Check out this foreshadowing from the Lexx wikia wiki- "Giggerota however is left on a retracting power pillar on Brunnis and wildly screams at the Brunnis Sun and Star demanding a show, resulting in the two merging and going supernova, destroying the planet and incinerating her." Um, Fire and Water, guys? Locked in orbit together like Brunnis Sun and Blue Star...

By the way, Doily didn't kill Queen, he just turned the heat up on her. Probably another pun, but remember we didn't see her die. I think this was very brazen of Doily after that big speech he gave Kai about we're not like that, we're not like the others, we don't belong here, we wouldn't hurt anybody. Doily uses his sexuality as a cover, hiding behind indignant whining about his frailty when he's actually quite capable of stepping up without an eyeblink. I think the word for Doily is 'experienced', not 'innocent'. He understands the S&M power structure quite well and knows how to manipulate it.

Ok, back to why Queen trumps Prince. First please note that Queen owns more water than Prince does, and instead of using it to cool off, she uses it to make things hotter. Prince wants to upset the balance. We think he means by taking over Water, and yes, of course he does, but I think he also means not needing Girltown. The Lexx is his dream come true in that regard, since Lexx obviously trumps balloons and everything else Fire has to offer. I almost get a visual of an impatient prince doing figure 8s with a Lamborghini on the palace lawns. Lexx does figure 8s around Fire and Water. Why am I making a big deal of this? Because we never see Prince either confront or use Queen or her minions in his plans, nor rescue any of the Lexx crew from her for his new plans. If Queen had managed to kill Stanley before Prince did, she would have not only owned his body and soul, but by default would have become captain of the Lexx, which we know Prince would have been wildly against happening. The fact that Prince didn't show up and rescue Stanley, like he did in Tunnels, shows me that he is powerless over Queen.

Those of you who just went into shock, my apologies, but it does explain some weird incongruities. Lexx is the kind of show that doesn't stop and explain things in conference rooms like some other scifi shows do. Lexx expects you to hit the ground running and try to keep up.

So who came first, Queen or Prince? I think, like the Time Prophet, Fire and Water lie outside normal time. I don't think there was a beginning as we would understand it, I don't think time there is linear and relative to our time, and I think they sprung into existence, as the above linked reviewer has postulated, for the Lexx crew, possibly even from Giggerota's death. Another idea is when the Lexx freed Mantrid to destroy the Light Universe, I make a case that the Lexx tipped the balance and broke the cycles of time, which we could now conceivably argue may have created a backlash bubble that trapped all the souls lost when the Light Universe collapsed. But I severely digress.

But how can Queen be the metaphorical mother of Prince, you ask. Simple authority. Queen is unbendable, immovable, the worst of the worst of the worst. Prince cannot win his conquest for ultimate overlord while Queen rules. Once again, worlds must literally blow up to get her out of the way.

Go back to part two.
        Go on to part four.

Posted by Janika at 7:31 AM

Comment

Pope Giggy- Giggerota, Part 4

That last post was way too thinky. Let's have some fun!

I love Xander Bennett. I can't help it. He finally unfollowed me, guess I'm just too weird. I think Lexx fans get that a lot. We're the fringe kids not quite in the 'adorable' and 'cute' eccentricities.

Let's find out how this crazy cannibal from the Cluster winds up becoming Pope. Here, quickie review before I start, subscribe to mobiusbelmont for lots more awesome. (apparently that got deleted... =/ )

First set of screen snips click back to sources at LexxPix.

Genevieve G. Rota is a real estate agent who 'woke up one day' on the little blue planet, along with all the other souls who inhabited Fire and Water before the Lexx blew them up. (s4ep4 Stan Down) We find out, along with Isambard Prince, who is watching the news, that the Sacred College of Cardinals chose a new Pope, and in a surprise break from tradition, they made a real estate agent from Miami the new Holy Father.

When she finds out she was chosen during a closed door session that used the only bit of newspaper in the room to break the deadlock (her name in the real estate section having a nice Catholic ring to it), Genevieve rips her sign up during an ecstatic dance of joy, laughing that she's now the Father, then rapping about kissing her ring.

As per my part 3 post, please note when you next watch this episode that Prince didn't seem at all pleased with this news. It actually seems like he ignores it by switching the channel back to Stanley Tweedle being held prisoner, but if you think about the previous rivalry between Prince and Queen on Fire, you know it's serious panic time when he finds out a few seconds later that the President collaborated with Stanley behind his back, and now Giggy is suddenly a loose canon as the most powerful person in the world. The first time I watched season four I didn't catch the dynamic, but the race is on now, and the competition over the key to the Lexx will become fierce, once again. Prince must get Stanley and the President back under his thumb before the Pope does. And that's all I'm going to say, you either get the power rivalry problem or you don't. It's not an accident that Prince tells the President he's in Miami, knowing that the chain reaction will be to have the Lexx blow up Miami where Genevieve was just on live television.

The next time we see Pope Genevieve is in s4ep20 Apocalexx Now. By this time, most viewers are so dizzy and confused by the bawdy vaudeville style storyline (I loved it) that it's difficult to see what's really going on. Don't stop at President Priest (his name is literally State Church, if you think about it) misunderstanding Japaneseland, or the First Lady, who is wearing an American flag bikini, being waved aside by a gender swapped Pope. Look at the power structure that is setting up right before everything goes haywire. Where is Prince? Where is Stanley? Where is the key to the Lexx?

If I may, seasons three and four are one big long chess game that is finally played between Kai and Prince on a real chess board just before the end, and the goal is to capture the power and gain the Lexx. Bunny was brought in to get the key from Stanley (she failed more than once) and help Prince control Priest. Lyekka and 790 are wild cards. Pope Genevieve is too egocentric to notice the bigger game, as usual. Prince is pulling strings like crazy trying to maintain some kind of control. It's up to Xev and Kai to get it all straightened out. (Battle of Five Armies, lol- Lyekka's carrots, Pope's assassins, Prince's ATF organization, the Lexx crew helping Dr. Longbore, and 790 holding down the biggest weapon of mass destruction in two universes.)

The following screen snips are from The Pic Bug and will click back to her site.

I love that Pope Genevieve is taller than President Priest. She's very intimidating.

And bossy. And mean.

Interesting power partnership. This can't end well. Where is Prince, anyway?

Oopsie, the most powerful person on earth just caught the guy who has the key to the Lexx.

She's aiming for the gas canister above Stanley. Note the lit candles below him.

Missed killing Stanley by that much, lol. Prince would be having heart attacks if he saw this.

Her end was so apropos. If you don't remember because you haven't watched in so long, it's high time you rewatched.

Pope Genevieve G. Rota was played by the prolific Ellen Dubin. Follow her on twitter and like her facebook page to keep up with real time projects and interviews.

Giggerota/Queen/Pope has been a worldwide character discussion for years, as evidenced in -> this collection of links <- on the discussion of Giggerota, including books about fictional popes and scifi characters.

Giggerota is also discussed and enjoyed in more length at-
          Sadgeezer
          Lexxverse
          Project Gutenberg
          this book
          "Ambiguously Human" in TV Tropes fave
          Lexx wikia wiki
          Lexxplorations
          Norajean.com
          Wolvie's Lexx Lair
          PinkyStuff
          Tumblr
          YouTube

The Lexx series is distributed worldwide by Echo Bridge Entertainment and can be purchased for viewing through a variety of online streaming and retail outlets such as Amazon, Google Play, and Target. It came through Hulu and Netflix for awhile, so keep your eyes peeled.

Go back to part three.

Posted by Janika at 4:51 PM

Comment

Working...
          X