This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built new pits

I just finally got my new horseshoe pits built this weekend 6-20-2008. I will have to say that the pits turned out great! My son Bradlee and his friend Cody helped with the concrete walkways and my wife helped me with the material.

Here is a couple of photo's of the stake's, I bought the 1" round stock for $15 and pounded them into wooden 6 x 6 blocks, they are 36 inches long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pits1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1878

Name:	pits2.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1879

My Boxes are just over 12 inches deep and I buried the 6 x 6 blocks with the stakes down another 12 inches or so, they have about 6 to 8 inches of regular material on top of the blocks. I compacted the dirt down as tightly as possible and then filled the boxes with at least 12 inches of Baseball mix.

Name:	pits3.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1880

Here you can see how loaded down my wifes truck was with the baseball mix in it, I put about 4 and 1/2 wheel barrels in each pit. There was about 2 wheel barrels left over and since Jimmy has been asking me for some for his pit's for about 5 years, he got them.

Name:	pits4.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1881

Finally I found some old bed rails at a garage sale today I bought for $2 and I used the angle iron pieces to re-enforce the front edges of the wood and walkways. They turned out nice and should increase the life of the boxes.

Name:	pits5.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1882

I pitched my first 100 shoes of the year in practice today and didn't do to bad.

I was able to stick 18 ringers out of 100!

Name:	pits6.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1883

Name:	pits7.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1884

I am really looking forward to practicing the rest of the season on these pit's and it's been a long time coming!

myke

Thats so cool. When I was there visiting they weren't quite done yet and now I can see the finished pits. They look great and I am sure Jim would love to play some shoes with ya soon.
    Sister
    https://twitter.com/judypieking

Comment

Working...
    X