2001 Ford Sport Trac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Ford Sport Trac

This 2001 Ford Sport Trac SOHC 4.0L project started out with my wife calling me to say "the transmission had gone bad or something". The complaint was No Power, the vehicle would not go over 45 or 50 MPH unless you were driving downhill. I thought possibly fuel pump or Clogged Exhaust system without seeing it, didn't sound like a transmission problem to me from the way she described it. I brought home my fuel pressure gauge and Snapon Solus from work and when I found the time I started diagnosing the problem.

I checked the Fuel pressure and it was within Specification 30-65 PSI

Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1860

Next, with some help from an assistant, Tommy J, we tested the Exhaust system back pressure with a gauge installed into one of the Pre Catalyst 02 sensor holes. It showed Zero or very little PSI's.

Then after reading some testimony's from fellow http://www.iatn.net/ members and even though my fuel trims were not incredibly high at idle, My short term fuel trim on bank 1 was only 5 with the rest being at around 0.

I took the leap of faith and decided it must be a failed Intake Manifold Gasket.

Date: Jan 3, 2007 6:15 PM

we have a ton of these with bad intake gaskets, has high
    fuel trim at idle, more normal at 2500. If you have a smoke
    machine, try smoking it when its cold.

Date: Jan 3, 2007 7:18 PM

I suspect you have a leak at the intake manifold gaskets.
    This engine uses o- ring rubber gaskets. Have had to
    replace quite a few. Test for a leak with smoke machine if
    you have one.

I called a couple of after market parts stores in town a found that the gasket set was around $15 but decided to purchase the gaskets from a Ford Dealer, They were slightly higher priced at $20 but this way I was relatively sure I would have the correct gaskets and a good quality part.

Name:	gaskets.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1861

It looks harder then what it really is...

Name:	before.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1862

I was able to remove the intake in about 75 minutes and once I had it out of the way I could see where it had apparently been leaking at the right rear corner, I cleaned the surface, replaced the gaskets and .....

Name:	after.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1863

Name:	evidence.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1864

The entire Job took me approximately 2 hours and went smoothly. I Went for a test drive to town and back to get some Jimmy Johns Sub's, The truck ran perfectly again like it did before the problem. Although I am not completely sure why the carb cleaner sprayed around the intake trick never works for me with this style intake or why the fuel trims did not indicate a bad intake gasket, I am glad the car is fixed and did not cost me a fortune.

myke

Does it still make the funny intake noise- timing chain tensioner?
    tom
    Lead,Follow,or get the F*** out of the way!!

Comment

Yep, the funny noise is still happening. The Engine RPM's are still limited to around 3 grand in park but not on the road.

I honestly don't know if this car really needed the intake gaskets or not, other then the fact that it runs good now that they were replaced.

Considering the total cost of the job was $20 and 2 hours of my time I am willing to overlook the fact that I don't completely understand the system and move on. If this were a customers vehicle and not my own I might be a little bothered that I may have replaced a gasket when it was not needed. However, since This is my wifes car I will rest more at ease having replaced a frequently failing gasket for $20 regardless if it was needed at this time or not.

myke

Comment

myke
        I think that is pretty common, the computer does not allow high no
        load rpm's as a safety device. I have read a lot about the timing chain tensioner being a problem on ford 4L v-6 engines although it
        was supposedly not a problem on the 2002 model year. Nice fix
        very interesting. I think you can rest assured that the $20 was well spent
        Tom
        Lead,Follow,or get the F*** out of the way!!

Comment

Working...
        X