Space Related Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Related Photos

I am going to use this to post pictures of space related stuff. These are actual photos that I have to scan and enter so bear with me please!
    For instance these are replicas of the Santa Maria, Nina and Pinta wind powered ships passing in front of pad 39-B with the shuttle Endeavour awaiting liftoff on the pad.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1965

Thanks Barry, this is actually a very interesting photo. I may create a forum specifically for this "space" topic so you don't have to post in the General area. If you think you can find the time to make more threads, this way people will be able to find your stuff, what do you think?

Comment

I think you are brilliant...

Comment

Speaking of space related photo's and such....

Recently picked up all 139 episodes of I dream of Jeannie on DVD, been re-watching it this week, Amazing the NASA photo's and clips, and the old car's I am loving it!

Comment

That is one of the good shows. I have some old black and white pictures of that time at the Cape I will post later.
          In the meantime,
          How many Payload Operations Controllers does it take to process and launch a DSCS?

The answer is seven. I don't know where the other three are hiding, cant keep track of my peoples.
          Also attached > DSCS particulars.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dscs2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	3096

Click image for larger version  Name:	dscs3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	3095

Click image for larger version  Name:	dscs1I.jpg Views:	2 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	3097

Comment

There is no information on the backs of these photos. Looks like they are preparing for a static display of a MSLS rocket? Predecessor to the Atlas?

Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	82.5 KBID:	3100

Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	77.8 KBID:	3101

Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	70.4 KBID:	3102

Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	69.3 KBID:	3103

Comment

Hey Kids! (and those adults inclined to do so) Want something to do while waiting for spring? Print these out on heavy weight paper and make your own paper DSCS model. Let the kids color it before assembly. Stay safe out there, its almost over.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3106

Name:	
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	3107

Name:	
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3108

Attached Files

Comment

That is really great Barry! I love all the photo's, Science rocks!

Comment

This is the Defense Support Program (DSP) Satellite. In this picture, it is mated to the Inertial Upper Stage on the Titan IV rocket and standing in the vertical position. This is one level on the mobile service tower clean room. The fairing has not been installed yet. This is where the business end of the wide-angle Schmidt camera resides.

The entire satellite pivots on its axis in a circular motion so that the sensors can cover their assigned area of the planet. Infrared sensors used in conjunction with the Schmidt camera are used to pick up ballistic missile launches from the surface. The DSP is parked in geosynchronous orbit and consists of a constellation of satellites. It is over 32 feet long and weighs more than a ½ ton truck.

Is this the only function of this payload? That question would have to be answered by someone at Westfields in Chantilly, VA who wears a patch with supra et ultra on it. If your stats counter is recording pings from this area, then you can guess who it is.

The Titan IV was retired in 2005. The available liquid-fueled core vehicles from the decommissioned ICBM fleet had been used up.
                  Here is a link to a short video of what became of the Mobile Service Tower.

Edited: there were a couple of broken links to the photos and removed the broke icons
                  Attached Files

Comment

1990 Aerial shot of Cape Canaveral. Port Canaveral can be seen at the bottom.
                    Last edited by Barry Vencedor; 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X