The Jack shaft Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jack shaft Upgrade

Well, this Schwinn Jaguar project has now taken on a new element. The Jack shaft kit I got myself for Christmas from sickbikeparts.com two years ago has finally been installed. I never seam to have enough time to work on the bike for some reason but this past weekend I was somehow inspired to get it done.

The jack shaft upgrade uses a three chain system. The primary chain goes from the engine drive to the jack shaft, secondary chain goes from the jack shaft to an extra gear on the 3 piece crank that was included in the kit. The Stock bicycle chain stays where it normally is between the crankshaft and the gear cluster on the rear wheel. This allows you to shift gears as you normally would while pedaling but under the power of the gasoline engine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1951 OK here is a photo of the bike, I really believe that at this point the bike is ready for gasoline, its first a test ride. I have ridden it twice under pedal power alone. First trip out the chains did not stay aligned I had to move shims from one side of the jackshaft to the other. Second trip out I was able to pedal the bike around the block and back without a problem with the chains

Name:	bike2.jpg
ID:	1952 Here is the bike from another angle I'm not really happy with the handlebars that came stock on this Jaguar, even with the laid back seat post the end of them still hit me in the stomach when I turn all the way to the left or to the right. These cruiser style bikes all seem to be like that I probably could have chosen a different bike for the project but this bike just caught my attention.

Name:	20130813_173428[1].jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1950 Front mount I used from the original kit, this mount seems good and I used a small piece of rubber, to act as a vibration dampener we will see with time how well this works. The last time I road this bicycle with the gas engine there was a lot of vibration in the handlebars and seat as well as the pedals. I predict that with the addition of jack shaft I will be able to pick a different gear and operate the engine at RPM's that don't vibrate as badly

Name:	20130813_173907[1].jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1948 rear mount I used from the original engine mounting kit

Name:	20130813_173922[1].jpg
ID:	1949 rear mount I used from the original engine mounting kit but from another angle. I used the rear mount from the original design plus the new rear mount that was included in the jack shaft kit. Took me awhile to think of a way to fit both pieces together but I think it turned out quite nice. At the top of the engine near the rear of the case there's an additional brace that was not in the original design this mounts the engine in at three points.

I have yet to try any gas in it because I am really in no hurry. Every day I come and look the bike over, I see new things I didn't notice before, I make adjustments and improvements, when I'm ready, i'll try it.
Working...
X