I'm Taking a 24-Hour Break From Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Taking a 24-Hour Break From Twitter

I'm currently taking a 24-hour break from twitter. Of course, I announced that I was taking a break from twitter while on twitter and I usually hate it when people do stuff like that. It feels performative. But I think it's necessary to do because, once you've publicly announced that you're going to do it, you're more likely to stick to it. I will definitely be tempted to check twitter over the next 24 hours but now that I've announced to everyone that I'm not going to, it's important to me to prove that I can do it.

As for why I'm taking this break, it's all the usual reasons. Twitter is relentlessly negative right now and I find that a little bit annoying. At a time when people should be coming together, people are still squabbling like a bunch of little children. The important thing to remember, of course, is that twitter does not speak for the majority of the people in the world. Whenever you start to feel like it might, that's when you need to take a break and decompress for a while.

If twitter isn't serving a useful function in your life, stay away from it for a while. It'll still be there when you get back.

Hell, I might just make it a 48-hour break. You never realize how annoying some people are until you have to deal with them in a crisis situation.

Comment

One day later and I've got people asking if I'm feeling better today and it's so frustrating. Me taking a break from twitter had NOTHING to do with any anxiety on my part. It had to do with me not wanting to spend all day listening to a bunch of doomsayers. Not everyone in this world is a fragile porcelain doll waiting to break at the slightest crisis.

Comment

I returned to twitter. It's okay. I'll probably get sick of it again tomorrow. Lol. Oh well -- Jan, Myke, Barry, Pat, and anyone who might stumble across this in the forums -- I hope you're all taking care of yourselves! All my love, Lisa.

Comment

Working...
        X