Broken Speedometer in a 2005 Chevy Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Speedometer in a 2005 Chevy Truck

I had a fun little project today and thought I would post about it. This past week seemingly out of the blue we have had 2 vehicles with bad speedometers. One 2003 Chevy Avalanche and this 2005 Chevy Silverado Pick Up.

Both have about the same symptoms, the speedometer all of the sudden stopped working correctly, stuck at 50 mph or so and not working. I called the dealer and they get $325 to exchange the Instrument Cluster out for a re-manufactured unit. I started looking around and found out that you can replace the stepper motor's for the gauges if you are skilled with a soldering iron. The new stepper motor cost me about $20 and took about 2 hours to change this first one. That equals a fairly large savings! Here are a couple of photo's I took of the printed circuit board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1227221745_1_FT0_nov20_0004_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1932

You can see the solder points are pretty small on the back of the board so I would not attempt this if you are not experienced with a soldering iron and replacing components on a PCB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1227221745_1_FT0_nov20_0001_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1933

This particular unit has 6 of them on it, I only replaced the one bad stepper motor and put it all back together. I took a GPS with me on the road after the job and checked my speed against it, It was off by only one mph at 55 so I called it good and shipped it!

myke
    Attached Files
Working...
X